Skip to main content

Help with a Federal Agency


If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem. However, the best way to ensure a timely response is by contacting the appropriate agency or official best equipped to assist you. For an issue involving a state agency or department including TennCareunemployment benefitsvital recordsDriver Services (DMV), and child support, you should contact your state representatives in the Tennessee General Assembly by using their “Find my Legislator” portal for House members and State Senators located on the right hand side of the page. You may also contact the Office of Governor Bill Lee for state assistance. Additionally, our state maintains a Jobs4TN website that provides state resources for job seekers, business solutions, and labor market information.

Residents of the 1st Congressional District of Tennessee can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies by completing the privacy release form located at the bottom of this page. After you complete the privacy release form you will be contacted by one of our experienced caseworkers who will attempt to assist you.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • For IRS tax issues, specify the tax year of your issue.
  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security.
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary.
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved.


2021 Stimulus payment – On May 4, 2021 the IRS announced that most Social Security beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients should have received their Economic Impact Payments (EIP) also referred to as stimulus checks by now. If you qualify and are missing your first or second EIP, then you need to file a 2020 tax return with the IRS and claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) as soon as possible. IRS provides more information here and a Get My Payment online portal for information specific to your payment status. If you receive a notice your funds have been deposited into an account you do not recognize, please first contact your bank and if your bank cannot track the funds, then please fill out the privacy release form located at the bottom of the page and be sure to attach to the form a copy of the correspondence that you received.

2020 Tax Return – Electronic Filing – Please allow at least 30-45 days for your electronic 2020 tax return to process.  If you have not received any notification after this time, please fill out our privacy release form at the bottom of this page and my staff will attempt to assist you in tracking your return. Paper Filing – If you filed your 2020 tax return by paper via postal mail, please allow at least 90-120 days for your return to be processed. If you mailed a check with your return, it will be deposited as soon as it is received; however, your return MAY NOT be processed at this time.  When completing our privacy release form at the bottom of this page, please be sure to include the tax year you are inquiring about on the form as the IRS will not accept an inquiry without this information!

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have formal authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. You must complete and submit the privacy release form below for my office to proceed with this type of request. You must fill out all 6 short pages to submit the form, so be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page after hitting “next page” on each section of the form.

Click Here To Start